Sunday, March 06, 2011

Microblogging

So I signed up for a Twitter account, and use it to update my Facebook status. The thesis continues apace- starting the fifth, concluding chapter tomorrow. finishing the dense conclusions of chapters 2 & 4 today.

Had a nice German-style breakfast of sausage, strong coffee, a croissant(let's hear it for Franco-German accord!) and a german beer. Since then I've been sorta reading and napping, after putting in a good few early hours on Lefebvre's the Production of Space and the countergaming chapter from Galloway's Gaming:Essays on Algorithmic Culture. My idea is that Wafaa Bilal's Domestic Tension performance was an example of both countergaming but also subverting current museological practice(countermuseology?) by reaching an audience with no investment or indeed an active disdain for contemporary art practices. This arises from the paintball gun that was the central element of the performance acting to tie together the space produced by the overlapping of the gallery, the art community that supported Bilal in Chicago during the performance, and the space created by the web-based actions- Youtube, chatroom and remote control of the paintball gun via the internet.

Now, does that all make sense to you?

 
"If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country."
-E.M. Forster