|Over a thousand people gathered in Victoria Square, the center|
of Montreal's financial district, to "Occupy Montréal"
Few believe that solutions to balancing human needs, environmental limitations and a sustainable economy will be simple, but all see this elite as being responsive only to its own narrow and short-sighted interests. Even those who consider themselves capitalists do not recognise this as anything but a kleptocracy. A kleptocracy that relies on the political class of various countries to act as partners or shills for policy that benefits the 1% to the detriment of the other 99%.
Certainly, you can find funny hats, and protestors that can only ramble incoherently. But these are a sliver of those that see the far reaching ramifications of a global class that plays Monopoly with the wealth produced by an increasingly disenfranchised majority. And unfortunately some believe that by allying themselves with the "1%" they will be allowed to join it. Yet their loyalty is exploited- we only have to look toward the behavior of some Police forces in their actions toward peaceful protest. But on closer examination the majority of the Occupy movement are citizens demanding democratic representation and economic opportunities that don't rely on onerous exploitation of people or the environment.
|The police presence at Occupy Montréal was very visible, but |
admirably subdued. For the most part, soldiers and police officers
are part of the 99% as much as these two women.