Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Tolerating the intolerant 2: Birmingham

The desire of religious groups to enjoy religous freedom while curtailing others freedoms, especially freedom of expression has appeared again, this time in England.

The attempt to offer religous freedom seems to be treated with contempt by fundamentalist groups, all of whom seem bent on resuscitating medieval peasant mores, rather than the profound values and subtle wisdom found in the holy books such as the New Testament,the Q'ran, the Torah and the Guru Granth Sahib. Perhaps I'm being too generous here, but I don't believe these religions need thuggery to protect themselves.

But, as Mr.Rushdie discusses in his article, these religious thugs need the spineless protection of vote-hungry politicians, if these thugs wish to continue their repression of others' freedom.

No comments:

 
"If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country."
-E.M. Forster