Friday, February 22, 2008

Yes-men line up: Science done Right?

Nature the British science magazine has criticised Stephen Harper for appointing a partisan Science council.

Paul Wells asks why this is a problem if most Canadian scientists and academics have nothing to say about it;

" If Canada's leading scientists and university administrators agree with the Nature editorial, they are not saying so. When the Senate science committee held hearings last month on the Harper government's research strategy, which it announced last May, a chorus of leading research administrators lined up around the block to say it was a swell strategy."


What else would they say- they don't want a lead pipe to the knee by John Baird, eminent scientist and environmental expert. Canada's new government doesn't deal well with criticism- so if you rely on government funding, remember who currently signs the cheques.

No comments:

 
"If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country."
-E.M. Forster