Thursday, June 12, 2008

Talking out of two sides of their mouth:Poilievre and Harper on residential schools

Just as Mr. Harper apologises for the culturally genocidal residential schools policy that had tried to strip the aboriginal nations of Canada of their languages and cultures another Tory enunciates a position that is almost stereotypical of the Conservative party. Mr. Poilievre denounces compensation for the victims of residential schools. This seems both inept, because that will not extend the Tory base, and vile, because it reveals a foul ignorance of the challenges faced by someone abused as a child. This self-righteous prig reveals a "blame the victim" technocratic view of the role government policy. His words were "we can get better value" for this money.

No comments:

 
"If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country."
-E.M. Forster