Saturday, October 10, 2009

"Tell me what company you keep..."- de Cervantes; Obama's Peace Prize Critics

Mr. Obama's nobel peace prize has aroused vitriolic criticism and dismissal from Conservative critics. Especially those on the American right and from Al Queda & Islamic conservative groups. Who would have thought they would agree on something? Perhaps it is because both of them would rather fight than think, destroy rather than mature.

It took Mr. W. Bush eight years to fail in Afghanistan. Osama bin Laden is still at large. The US deficit was created in 4 years after Mr. Clinton took eight years to create a surplus after huge deficits under Mr. Reagan and the first Mr. Bush. Medicare as we Canadians know it as well as the Norwegians, French, British and so on know it took a generation to introduce. Expecting Mr. Obama to deliver it all in less than a year is unreasonable. It bespeaks of an adolescent impatience and sense of entitlement that US citizens will have to outgrow if they want to prosper in the long run.

This immaturity, this adolescent bombast plays out in both in the bomb-throwing medieval-ism of the Islamic radical right, and their preening, jingoistic confreres of the American far right. They truly need each other as a rationale for their inherently destructive impulses; Their immunity to maturity. It speaks to who they are, that they criticize together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh thank you Adam!
You know, I am embarrassed to say, that this week I have stupidly allowed myself to engage in argument with right wing extremists, the truly paranoid and claimers of the AntiChrist.
Yes, I know, it’s my own fault for engaging. I got my own damn knickers in a knot.
However reading this blog is zen.
:)

 
"If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country."
-E.M. Forster