Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Old 'In and Out': How the end justifies the means

Stephan Dion observed accurately if somewhat tritely that
"you don't cheat for nothing.You cheat to have an effect".

Obviously, the flouting of the Election law could be justified if one believes that the greater good is served by the Conservative party forming the government. How charmingly marxist.

The cynic in me can't but believe that some where the calculation was made that the Canadian public wouldn't take an interest in what could be perceived as an accounting error. A general policy of stonewalling the media and the legal tactic of filing civil suits when facing opposition has obsfucated various issues, including the afghan detainee file, the medical isotopes file and the Cadman affair, among others.

The belief in the Tory party, that the benefits of a Conservative government out ways any costs of achieving electoral victory, reveals a fundamental deficit of integrity; That is to say the Conservative party does not think, act and speak in concert, with clarity and frankness.

No comments:

 
"If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country."
-E.M. Forster