Tuesday, November 18, 2008

when objectivity becomes bias; Satire versus truthiness

"The public's frankly gotten frustrated with the convention of objectivity, the idea that you have to present both sides of the story, even if one side is completely bogus," said Niles, citing as an example news reports on global warming in which the views of politicians and lay-skeptics get consideration equal to studies by climate science PhDs. "
-Robert Niles, editor of the Online Journalism Review quoted in Onion Nation, Washington Post
online
,
Sunday, November 16, 2008

Giving a voice to ninnies encourages more ninnies. And asking how we know who the ninnies are reveals more about the ignorance of journalists than the value of the opinion of the subjects being interviewed. Truthiness, as Stephen Colbert would call it, rather than accuracy; Credibility at the expense of facts.

No comments:

 
"If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country."
-E.M. Forster