Sunday, November 30, 2008

Running, or the lack there of, and thesis topics

So my Mangan's marathon project has been held back by ill health. A really nasty respiratory infection has left me weak and coughing violently for the last 3 weeks. As I previously posted, I'd gotten to 20km runs. This will set me back some weeks, but I'll persevere. I will run 42 km around the Sud-Ouest of Montreal and then eat a "surf and turf" at Mangan's restaurent in the point.

My thesis topic, as it currently stands deals with how Canadian architecture is subsumed within the global marketplace by Canadian produced video games. My little twist is that video games can be considered as a form of architecture unto themselves, and thus redefine how we experience vernacular architecture in the "bricks and mortar" world. What does it mean when a young person in say South Korea plays "Army of Two" or "Prince of Persia". Do they convey a canadianess that reflects the artistic milieu in which they were created? Both games were produced in Montreal. Or are they truly global, with no local elements?

No comments:

 
"If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country."
-E.M. Forster