Wednesday, November 12, 2008

theory, experience and Malcolm Gladwell

"Gladwell explains his success is more succinct: “People are experience rich and theory poor. My role has been to give people ways of organizing experience."
-'Geek Pop Star' by Jason Zengerle in New Yorker Magazine online November 17, 2008
What a great way to explain what theory is. It expresses the idea that people impose a sense of order on things (negative examples include creationists, conspiracy theorists and the like) but don't necessarily do this rigourously. Their theories, or explanations for the facts on the ground are guilty of logical fallacies or lack falsifiability.

No comments:

 
"If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country."
-E.M. Forster