Thursday, December 31, 2009

The origin of "idiot"

"We consider the man who avoids politics not as minding his own business, but as having no business"- Pericles,(c. 495 – 429 BC) Athenian leader qouted(broadly) from Thucydides The Histories.

The classical Greeks referred to such people as idiots. I was listening to streeters about the Harper government's proroguing parliament. This means that the issue of Canada abandoning its responsibility regarding Afghan detainees, explaining the mismanagement of the climate change and environmental portfolios and ongoing issues with nuclear plants, mis-allocation of stimulus funds and so on, wil not be discussed. Many people didn't care, and said they didn't care about politics.

And they wonder why "their lunches get eaten" by politicians. Of course, creating apathy works well for hyper-partisan political parties. Their core votes, everyone else becomes discouraged and stays home. Idiots.

 
"If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country."
-E.M. Forster